Sunday, February 5, 2012

Biomechanical Nightmares

Detail of Trumpets of Jericho by H.R. Giger

Although I'm fond of dark, haunting imagery, I've never found the work of H.R. Giger appealing. There's too much authentic nihilism and a pervasive feeling of ill-will, especially towards women, to become the objects of my admiration. To be blunt, they feel malevolent.

Now, I can certainly admire the creativity and talent that went into designing such monstrosities. For all of its luridly depraved and diabolic content, Giger's work stands out as visionary masterpieces, giving form to unthinkable perdition, birthing alien horrors to stalk our nightmares. Only Hieronymous Bosch has created such powerful hellscapes.

I really don't like the subject matter, but I must admire the artistry.

Detail of The Alien by H.R. Giger

So, in honor of Giger's birthday, born in 1940, let's look at some of his works.

Here are a few vids:





Trailer for Alien (1979)


Enjoy?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment