Sunday, April 22, 2012

Dance Party: April

Detail from the cover image of Celine Dion's A New Day Has Come (2002)

So, we've been doing these monthly dance parties for a year now. My focus and approach has changed a lot since my first post last May. I used to focus exclusively on "Dance/Club" music. I used to write a lot of context on how the musical styles had changed over the 5-year increments.

But my "curatorial" style has changed over the year. I've broadened out my selection criteria and allow the listeners to bring their own experiences or context to my monthly playlist.  Yeah, I know that this is my blog and that, ultimately, everything boils down to being "all about me" but I like being "light-handed" and subtle. After all, if my song choices are interesting, then they can tell the story themselves.

Image from Soft Cell's Tainted Love (1981)

So, what narrative arises from this month's selection?

Let's listen.

1967: "Happy Together" by the Turtles

1972: "Horse with No Name" by America

1977: "Hotel California" by the Eagles

1982: "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell

1987: "Telephone Call" by Kraftwerk

1992: "One" by U2

1997: "Your Woman" by White Town

2002: "A New Day Has Come" by Celine Dion

2007: "Breath" by Breaking Benjamin


Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment