Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Unless Someone like You Cares a Whole Awful Lot



"You're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting,
So... get on your way!"
- Dr. Seuss (Oh, the Places You'll Go!)

Which writer has had the greatest influence on the way you live your life? That's a tough question for me to answer. However, in my Top Ten list, I'd definitely have to list Dr. Seuss. As a child, I was an avid reader and Dr. Seuss' books were among my favorites. I loved the illustrations. I was delighted by the sound of the word read aloud. And the stories had purposes.

Horton defends those who are "beneath notice." The Grinch discovers that joy isn't limited to material goods. The Lorax warns against reckless consumption. These tales and others had ethical dimensions written in a manner so that even a young child might understand. They left an indelible mark upon my spirit by teaching me about empathy and compassion in my earliest years.

Even today, when I read or hear a Seussian tale, it feels as if my "heart grows three sizes" upon the conclusion.



Here's a link to Dr. Seuss' Wikipedia page.

No comments:

Post a Comment