Sunday, April 24, 2011

First Weekly Wrap Up


Shadows Reach Across LJ's Face


Over the last week, we discussed a decent array of subjects. Here's the Wrap Up:

Eating Barbequed Iguana was about the Santa Monica Museum of Art's exhibits on Tijuana's tourism in Donkey Show, two series by Al Taylor in Wire Instruments and Pet Stains, and a few new works by Daniel Cummings.

In Crunch to Munch, I expressed by disgust over the concept of a Doritos Taco from Taco Bell. Yuck!!!

Great and Wondrous Deeds was about the audio recording of lectures by Jeremy McInerney, Elizabeth Vandiver, and David Roochnik concerning ancient Greek history, literature, and philosophy respectively. I highly recommended their work.

We took note of the activation of Skynet in Something Unstoppable. Fortunately, some time traveler must have defeated Skynet's plans for destruction.

I mused on the acceptance of loneliness in Heat in Freezing.

In That They Were Fair, I subjected David Crest French to the LJR critique. He gets an A for Beauty, but a C- for Originality.

I paid tribute to Billie Holiday's brave statement against lynching in Scent of Magnolias, Sweet and Fresh.

Mascherari describes the performance of Luigi Ontani's AmenHammerAmeno, a tableau vivant work that I was able to attend. With plenty of photos too!

John Muir's environmentalist legacy was celebrated on his birthday in Full of Thy Glory.

I expressed my love for clever advertisements that tell a tale in Gratitude Is the Sign of Noble Souls.

Again, I put on my art blogger hat in Demons of the Wind to discuss the Roberto Cuoghi exhibit at the Hammer. It has a creepy sculpture of Pazuzu too!!! How can you beat that?!

Dark Angel celebrates Bettie Page's birthday and unforgettable sexuality. Hot! Hot!! Hot!!!

Emily Dickinson's "Nobody knows this little rose" is the feature of this week's Flowers for Friday Afternoon.

In Heaven Is Within, I visited Lloyd Wright's architectural masterpiece, Wayfarers Chapel, and discussed a bit of Swedenborgian spirituality.

Twenty-six years after the introduction of New Coke, I reminisce on the era of the Cola Wars in Catch the Wave.

What the Light Was Like featured Amy Clampitt's poem "Easter Morning" for obvious reasons.

I discussed the fascinating themes of the Getty exhibit "Photography from the New China" in A Brook Without a Source.

Finally, I do a bit of overtly personal blogging in Happy Easter!!!

All in all, it was a busy week here at Paideia. I thank you all for reading and I hope you've enjoyed the visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment