Monday, May 16, 2011

Eject, Goose! Eject!


On this date in 1986, Top Gun was released. Starring Tom Cruise, Val Kilmer, and Kelly McGillis, this movie went on to top the Box Office chart for the year, earning $176.7 million domestically. That's HUGE money in '86.

I saw this movie on opening weekend. The flight scenes were mighty cool, but I wasn't big on the movie overall. I never got the big hype over Tom Cruise. And the machismo of this film was just stupid and flat. I'd have enjoyed the movie more if it was just a sequence of awesome flight action. Oh, and Kelly McGillis was definitely a hottie. ;-)

I haven't seen Top Gun since '86. I wonder how I'd feel about it if I watched it today. Was I too young to fully appreciate the plot? Would I find the characterization more compelling twenty-five years later? I'm doubtful on both counts, but it's possible. After all, I hated this song back in the day, but I find it charming now:




Anyways, here are a few links:

Box Office Mojo

IMDb

Wikipedia

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment