Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day!!!


To Her Father with Some Verses
(By Anne Bradstreet)

Most truly honoured, and as truly dear,
If worth in me or ought I do appear,
Who can of right better demand the same
Than may your worthy self from whom it came?
The principal might yield a greater sum,
Yet handled ill, amounts but to this crumb;
My stock's so small I know not how to pay,
My bond remains in force unto this day;
Yet for part payment take this simple mite,
Where nothing's to be had, kings loose their right.
Such is my debt I may not say forgive,
But as I can, I'll pay it while I live;
Such is my bond, none can discharge but I,
Yet paying is not paid until I die.


It's not my style to celebrate "Hallmark Holidays" but the mood is upon me today. ;-)


In looking for appropriate music to celebrate, I was surprised by the wildly inappropriate Father-themed music out there. LOL!!!



So, in accordance with my "multiple-of-five" obsession, here are five "father" songs selected over the decades.

In 1941, Sammy Kaye & His Orchestra are interested in receiving gifts from "Daddy":




In 1961, Julie London releases her sultry version of the Cole Porter classic "My Heart Belongs to Daddy":




In 1976, we get the most inappropriate(!!!!!) of our "father" songs, Boney M's "Daddy Cool":




In 1986, we finally steer away from creepy "father figure" erotic fixations with Madonna's "Papa Don't Preach". Seriously, something's wrong when I filter through 45 years of music, in five year increments, and the first non-suggestive "father" song is by freakin' MADONNA!!!!!




And in 1996, the Dream Trance classic "Children" by Robert Miles finally delivers some music that I feel is an acceptable thing to play at a Father's Day celebration.




In any case, best wishes to you all on this Father's Day.

Here's the Father's Day Wikipedia page.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment