Monday, August 29, 2011

Ornithology

Charlie "Bird" Parker, Jr.

Today marks the birth date of another jazz legend, Charlie "Bird" Park. Of all the jazz greats, his music was the toughest for me to appreciate. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I once considered it to be chock-full of noise. I could intellectually appreciate it, but listening to his innovative approach to chordal techniques and improvisation just wasn't to my tastes. I couldn't "dig" it. ;-)

But as my jazz sophistication and familiarity with bebop's musical lexicon developed, I came to enjoy the music. Where previously I heard histrionic chatter, I now hear complex but compelling musical phrases. Is Bird my favorite jazz musician? No, but I can recognize his innovative genius and enjoy its expression.


Charlie "Bird" Parker and Miles Davis

Enough talk. Let's listen to some music.


There are so many good recordings from which to choose, but here are a few fine examples of Bird's style.










Bird Lives!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment