Friday, August 12, 2011

We're Off to Never Never Land

Metallica (Black Album) released in 1991

It's weird to think that it's been twenty years since Metallica's Black Album was released. I was an enthusiastic fan of their previous album, . . . And Justice for All, and was looking forward to this new album. I wasn't a hardcore thrash fan, but I found their style compelling. When the Black Album came out, I was mixed in my assessment.

On one hand, I wanted more of the style that they had developed through their early work. On the other hand, although the style was significantly different, the music was engaging. Twenty years later, I can comfortably say that this was a good record. We can play "What if. . ?" games regarding Metallica's thrash style, but the answer to the "What did. . ?" question is clear: the band changed their style and created a compelling heavy metal classic that would appeal to a more mainstream rock audience.

More importantly, I like it. ;-)




Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment