Thursday, September 8, 2011

Missundaztood

Pink from the cover of her Missundaztood album (2001)

For much of popular music over the last decade, I've been feeling the "Get off of my lawn!" disposition that characterizes people entering middle age. A quick look over at my "labels" indicates that I'm a child of the 1980s. Sure, I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to musical subgenres, such as alternative, dance, jazz, or metal, but that's because I can appreciate the new styles as a part of a tradition, an aesthetic dialectic.

On the other hand, mainstream Pop builds from the ground up for each generation. Pop's core appeal relies on simple catchy tunes delivered by a charismatic face. Well, there's nothing wrong with that at all. I certainly enjoyed Madonna's Borderline or Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Want to Have Fun back in the day. However, I expect music to develop, to progress and grow. Mainstream pop music doesn't do that. It recycles and regurgitates.

I've already been through a few generations of Pop music. So, if I've already heard Madonna and Gwen Stefani, what does Lady Gaga bring to the table? If I've experienced the music of Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey, why should I listen to Beyonce? Been there. Done that.

It takes not just charisma and easy tunes to catch my interest, but authenticity. Is the performer channelling an authentic sound that reflects who they are as people? That's important in any art, but it is essential for my ability to appreciate contemporary Pop Music.

Pink from the cover of her I'm Not Dead album (2006)

And that's why I like Pink. Her music feels authentic. Even when her albums underperform "Superstar" sales expectations, she sticks with her "sound" and style. And she seems to follow her muse, not for attention-seeking purposes or as brand management, but because that's what she feels like doing. Honestly, I don't feel that it always makes for the finest music, but I always appreciate the artistic honesty.

And so here's wishing Alecia Beth Moore (aka Pink) a Happy 32nd Birthday!

Here's a sample of Pink's music over the course of her career.














And my favorite.




"I can go for miles, if you know what I mean." ;-)

Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment