Monday, January 9, 2012

2012 Weekly Wrap #1

Donald Duck runs from the firework bull in Three Caballeros (1944)

This year we will be trying a new approach to the Weekly Wrap, ditching the whole concept of a set report day. The new rule is that I'll put up a Wrap each week, appearing sometime between Monday and Friday. Although I have a reliable production schedule, my ability to promise a Wrap every week on a specific day just isn't viable.

Anyways, we've started off the New Year with a good mix of topics, from literature to automobiles, from animation to super models. I'd like to write up more art gallery reviews in upcoming weeks, but I'm happy to showcase a light-hearted blend of posts for your enjoyment. ;-)

As regards my health concerns, I'm doing very well. Fatigue is still a problem, but I can deal with it. I'm just happy to be up and active again. There is too much to see, too much to experience, to spend time sitting around the house.

Cover art of Batman #20 (1940)

There were plenty of Art posts since the New Year. We reviewed Sylvia Ji's "Gilded Roses" exhibition at the Corey Helford Gallery. I was able to see a preview of Chris Burden's Metropolis II at LACMA, inspiring me to rave about it at length. During a trip to the Manhattan Beach Civic Center, I spotted a couple new works in the Sculpture Garden. On the anniversary of his birth in 1832, we celebrated the art of Gustave Dore, one of my favorite illustrators. Finally, I updated the Los Angeles Art Guide as part of the Art Season Opening Night.

Movies and television were featured in a few posts over the last week or so. First, we celebrated National Bird Day with some images and vids of cartoon ducks and various other birds, and a bit of the Hitchcock classic, The Birds. During a trip to the Petersen Automotive Museum, I took a few photos of the 1989 Batmobile, which inspired a post on the ultimate superhero car. Then I ranted about being "Mad as Hell" and decided that I wasn't going to take it anymore!!! ;-)

As regards literature, we had a couple posts. First, we celebrated the publication date of Frankenstein, the classic text of both horror and science fiction. Then, as we admired the bergenias for Friday Flowers, the poetry of Carl Sandburg lifted our spirit.

We went a bit light on music and advertisements. The great Jazz vibraphonist, Milt "Bags" Jackson received our commemorations for his birth date. And fond memories of the "Supermodel Era" were brought to mind by the birthday of Christy Turlington.

And those are our twelve posts for Week #1.

Peter Boyle as the Monster in Young Frankenstein (1974)

Thanks for reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment