Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pacific Standard Time: Weekly Update #1

Pacific Standard Time Logo

I've mentioned in passing that there is currently a massive Southern Californian cultural event, Pacific Standard Time, which is a coordinated curation among various cultural institution to exhibit and assess the art of Los Angeles from approximately 1945 to 1980. Given the unprecedented scope of this project, I'm trying to experience as much of it as I am able.

Ideally, I would have time to give a full review post to each exhibit that I visit. Yeah, that's the plan, but I can't honestly expect it to become a reality. Instead, I plan on giving a brief progress report of my week's PST adventurers.

Here are the exhibits that I've seen since the event started earlier this month.

Fowler Museum at UCLA:

"Mapping Another L.A.: The Chicano Art Movement" and "Icons of the Invisible: Oscar Castillo"






Hammer Museum

"Now Dig This! Art and Black Los Angeles 1960-1980"











Huntington Museum
"The House That Sam Built: Sam Maloof and Art in the Pomona Valley, 1945-1985"

EDIT: I reviewed this show in "Domestic Designs to Adore and Delight" on October 19.








Norton Simon Museum

"Proof: The Rise of Printmaking in Southern California"











Orange County Museum of Art

"State of Mind: New California Art Circa 1970"











Ben Maltz Gallery at Otis College of Art and Design

"Doin' It in Public: Feminism and Art at the Woman's Building"


I reviewed this show in "Appreciating Herstory" on October 9.







Yeah, I've been busy. I'll try to write up my experiences in dedicated posts. I'll be using the "Pacific Standard Time" tag to make it easier for accessing these posts. This will also help finding art gallery posts that are related to this event, but not actually an official exhibit.

In any case, I hope my adventures in Pacific Standard Time will keep you all entertained and informed.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment