Sunday, October 2, 2011

Here Comes Ol' Charlie Brown!

Lucy and Snoopy share an apple for Halloween.

On this day in 1950, the first Peanuts comic strip appeared. This began a fifty year run that had a readership of over 300 million. It earned its author, Charles Schulz, a billion dollars over the course of his life. The Peanuts gang has been merchandised as just about anything imaginable and have "endorsed" countless properties.

Personally, I wasn't a fan as a child. Sure, I liked Snoopy and seeing Charlie Brown attempt to kick the football. But, as a daily read, the strip felt old-fashioned. That's because it was. The characters already had over two decades of development before I started giving it a read. The creative energy wasn't tapped, but it wasn't in full flow either.

Now, I can look back on the entire body of the series and appreciate it in full. Of course there are lag points, but the overarching vision of the comic carries you through. Peanuts is still not my favorite comic, but I can see why it was for so many people.

Don't do it, Charlie Brown!!! It's a trick!!!

And the football trick still amuses me. ;-)


Here are some vids:








LOL!!! Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment